Saturday, July 17, 2010

Indian Rupees gets Symbol

     India joins the group of four Countries or group of continent which have symbol for their currencies. In the world every country has name and three letter code for their currency but only four have symbol for their currencies and they are –
  • Country  (Currency Code)  – Symbol  (Name)
  • U.S.A. (USD Code)– $ (Dollar)
  • U.K. (GBP Code) –£ (Pound)
  • European Union (EUR Code)– € (Euro)
  • Japan(JPY Code) – ¥ (Yen)
Indian Government was thinking and in process for symbol to Indian rupees, and it received 25,000 entries across India; out of it five were short listed and from these entries one has to select as symbol of Indian rupees. Yesterday Indian cabinet approved (the sign/design in picture) as symbol for Indian currency and entry was forward by Doctor Udey Kumar, who did Post Graduate study from I.I.T. Mumbai and his name will go into the history book as designer and creator of Indian rupees symbol, while talking to media person Doctor Udey Kumar was very happy and said next day he is going to join I.I.T. Guwahati as assistant professor in designer department of institute it was also confirm by Director of I.I.T Guwahati Mr. Gautam Barua, so it is a day for Mr. Udey Kumar which came with double happiness, and he will get prize of 2,50,000 Rupees also.
Now after getting symbol Indian Rupees can differentiate from other currencies which have same names like –
  • Indonesia - Indonesia Rupiahs
  • Mauritius - Mauritius Rupees
  • Nepal - Nepalese Rupee
  • Pakistan - Pakistan Rupees
  • Seychelles - Seychelles Rupee
  • Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka Rupee
after including symbol in Unicode Standard I.S.O. I.E.C. 10646 & I.S. 13194, then approved symbol can be used within or outside country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WELCOME n Thanx for yourgoodself's valuable thoughts, certainly for me these words are Gem and will give me direction.........Nartan Gulal